Nostalgia Overload: The Best (Worst) Anti-Medical Marijuana PSAs of All-Time
Posted by Laura Vladimirova | March 06 2012 | 3348 views | Comments ↓
The history of MMJ PSAs is long and laughable.
(Click to enlarge)
For our readers who grew up in the U.S. with real-life television sets, the PSA (public service announcement) is a familiar format. For those readers who watch TV via the net, it's a lost pop-culture art form. PSAs advocated for everything from anti-littering to our personal favorite, anti-marijuana. Some of those commercials were hilarious, some were truly terrifying, but most were generally a load of hyperbole.
It's doubtful that these 2-minute televised moral melodramas were ever really effective at deterring or encouraging a change of behavior, but they certainly gave viewers some good laughs.
Here's a list of our favorite old school anti-medical marijuana PSAs. Get your nostalgia meter set to wonderful and enjoy these show-free commercials.
1) "I'm not chicken, you're a turkey!" This is quite possibly the most famous anti-medical marijuana line ever crafted. Kids used to use this all the time in playgrounds across the US to thwart 9-year-old would-be dealers. The only thing that never made sense here was the involvement of the Ninja Turtles. Wasn't Michelangelo baked, like all the time? Pizza?
2) What?! No, this isn't that Yellow Submarine movie from the Beatles. Or is it? This vintage PSA somehow misses the mark and evokes a trippy 60's vibe instead of a serious anti-drug one. If you mute it and play something like Jefferson Airplane over it, it has the unintended affect of making that medical marijuana seem rather tempting.
3) This PSA is majorly confusing. Everyone is awesome, wants to share their "kind bud" and seems pretty darn friendly. Who has the Google map location of this magical land? Fine, no 13-year-olds allowed.
4) This PSA raises so many questions that it is practically impossible to even remember what they were trying to say in the first place. For one, does this PSA advocate for some sort of inter-species dating? Also, this animation is pretty rad, did a kid really do this? Whatever this PSA really wants gets lost in the subtext. Instead, just watch this cute animation about an alien/human love triangle.
5) In Doug Benson's Super High Me, he riffs on this PSA, "So I'm watching TV and this girl starts melting into her couch after smoking weed. Now being a pot smoker, this isn't a disturbing image or anything, what I'm thinking of is holy shit where can I get some of that shit, somewhere out there, there is a melt into the couch weed and I've been smoking the I can't find my keys weed. Maybe if I got some of that shit, I could melt into the couch and then find my keys down there!
6) All this PSA ever did was create an odd association between "drugs" and fried eggs. Now, those folks that grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons and this PSA can't decide if they want a eggs over easy or a joint, and why one always reminds them of the other. Fried eggs, brain, drugs. Wait, what? Exactly.
To create link towards this article on your website,
copy and paste the text below in your page.
Monday, 27 February 2012
Article by Laura Vladimirova, on Mar. 6th 2012